Quick down and dirty blog tonight.....Why do all trainers make you hold plank? It totally sucks! Your shoulders burn, your stomach is on fire and you get sweat in your eye. Well, planks strengthen your core and engages every muscle from toes to neck. Every muscle must be locked in or your plank looks more like a worm. We gain better posture and believe it or not become more flexible. While working our balance and stability we become stronger. Because of this we have less back pain because we can engage other muscle groups, larger muscle groups instead of using our lower back to hold large amounts of weight. We rely more on our buttocks, thighs and spinal erector muscles.
Top 6 cues you must remember:
1. Shoulders stacked over elbows, 90 degrees (the lady in the picture not so stacked)
2. Chin tucked toward neck, look down...looking forward gets sweat in your eye and puts strain on your traps and neck.
3. Squeeze belly button to spine, prepare for being punched in the stomach, no belly dips
4. Press into the balls of your feet, heals up
5. keep your fucking ass down! Please we are not doing down dog.
Stacie A. Zamperini M.Ed.