I want to have a very real conversation about 5 top health concerns women face. Along with a faster rate of muscle wasting causing a slew of medication conditions, obesity being a major issue accompanied with Sarcopenia, there 5 other health concerns unique to women.
The top 5 health concerns of women are:
1. Heart disease, 49% of all women suffer from at least 1 risk factor that leads to heart disease, like obesity, diabetes, high cholesterol.
2. Breast Cancer, Postmenopausal women who are obese are 20%-40% higher risk for breast cancer compared to normal-weight women.
3. Osteoporosis 55% of Americans have weakened bones, 2/3 are obese.
4. Depression, depression can lead to disordered eating and obesity and obesity can lead to overwhelming sadness.
5. Auto immune disease, like diabetes. 90% of those diagnoses with diabetes are obese.
The similarity in all 5 health concerns were linked to obesity, sedentary life style and disordered eating. Disordered eating encompassing, over-eating, binge eating, anorexia, and yo-yo dieting. As we get older and spend less time taking care of ourselves and more time micro-managing our families, we put ourselves at a greater risk. As women become a stronger force in the work place, our guilt of not being at home increases, and a negative cycle of overworking, decreased exercise or pleasure activity, and poor food choices continues.
My blog is never about preaching or scolding but in doing continued researching on health topics, this one in particular keeps popping up. It is time we start putting ourselves and our health first. If we are not going to take care of ourselves we will not be there to take care of anyone else. Try to make some small changes for yourself, make time for you, because we need you around!
Stacie A. Zamperini M.Ed.